Wednesday, March 09, 2011

The Unknown Future: a Sad Day for the Canadian Forces

What does the future hold for the CF now that Canada’s Number One soldier is retiring? His departure reminds me of an exercise many, many years ago.

It was early, zero dark buffalo, and we had been bugged out to start off a brigade exercise. I was engrossed in packing up our platoon’s stores vehicle when I heard a voice ask how I was doing. When I looked up I saw the brigade commander quickly walking along the column of vehicles towards me. It was Hillier. He stopped for only a moment, which at the time I thought was going to involve a huge interrogation of skill testing questions about military technical data such as the muzzle velocity of the service rifle or that I was going to be reprimanded for having one of my pockets were undone. To my amazement he only wanted to know if everything was alright and if there were any problems so far into the Ex.

Still in some shock, because of his genuine concern for my well being and my views of events so far, I ran through the encounter in my head. I realized that that no other person at that level had done such a thing so far in my career. It also occurred to me that there wasn’t huge entourage of lackeys parading around with him, he was alone. Alone checking up on his troops and at the same time showing us that he was actually there going out on exercise with us.

It wasn’t a significant event in my career but one that does stand out in my memory. The fact that a person of his position made that extra effort - which he would not consider extra but necessary - to make an unscheduled and covert visit amongst his troops.

More recently, while serving in Afghanistan, he made several visits to a location where I had been deployed. His visits were almost always short and sweet. On most occasions he would only mingle about the camp greeting and speaking with the troops. Only once did he have a parade where he spoke to the majority of the camp and this was briefest brief in the history of the CF.

Now, upon his leaving it makes me wonder what the future holds for the CF. Who can fill the boots of a man who has inspired so many soldiers to excel? Who has led by example and who has show genuine concern and overwhelming support for his troops?

Believing the ‘glass is half empty’, the future quality of life in the CF will not be as good as is has been with Hillier at the helm.

- Author Unknown -

No comments: