Friday, August 26, 2011

Working with Civilians - Part 1: Understanding Respect

Working with Civilians: Part 1


Understanding Respect



First of all this does not apply to all civilians, and that this does not apply to other branches that provide a service in a way that their lives are placed on the line a majority of the time, such as police, fire and rescue personnel. This is specifically directed to those whom place themselves above those who could potentially die in their daily duties as if that that was their place and their duty to die.


I have worked in several places on different occasions where I have worked with people that have treated me and others as if we were servants or peasants. Since they were more scholastically inclined and formally educated and we were the “grunts” we were treated as lesser beings that did not deserve their respect, which is funny because with just minimal thought, a slight squeeze, and absolutely no guilt one of us could terminate their negative attitude. Of course, this action would then reinforce their interaction with us and that we are brutes.


Instead we try to communicate with them in their own manor and treat them in kind but again we are viewed as rude. Who is rude, the initiator or the individual who confronts the initial culprit? On one such occasion I had this Other Government Department (OGD) person called out to me by my last name at which I responded with a glare. The next time he used my first name, again I glared. From then on, and for other reasons, I gave this person the cold shoulder.


Eventually, he finally asked me what he was to refer to me as, well, I told him that we had only been introduce on a professional level with only my rank and last name, and not on a personal level. His response was that he noticed that We all use last names between each other. I explained that that was between the upper and lower ranks in order to maintain discpline and command but in some cases and after a soldier has earned his respect nick-names may get used. First names were never used going up the chain but if a soldier has earned enough respect the senior person may opt to use the soldier’s first name. This is a very high level of respect. Professionally, a soldier should always be referred to as rank, then last name. The more that is dropped, the rank, then to nick names, then to first name displays the level of respect and experience a soldier has achieved. To call a high ranking NCO by his last name is to go in reverse, therefore disrespecting him.


The second problem, I emphasized on was that we were never introduced on a personal level, only rank and last name. Therefore, that is what he should use until we possibly became friends, because only my friends use my first name.


Finally, I asked if he would call a doctor “Mister”. He only laughed until he noticed that I was only glaring again. I emphasized that a doctor has spent a shit load of time and achieved considerable experience to become what he has become, so his title of Doctor is important, so how different is that of a career soldier who has achieve his level of rank?


So, if you are this type of fucker who cannot understand basic respect than this is for you. Respect goes both was, and is earned and those who have “been there, and gotten the T-shit” have earned it. Therefore, give them the respect they are due….and if you don’t….well….don’t bitch about the repercussions.


No comments: