Friday, December 07, 2007

TIME CHECK

I arose early in the morning with a chill. Then looking at my watch for the time, which was 0445 that gave me just over an hour before I really had to get up. Trying to fall back to sleep the real reason for waking became apparent. I had to go to the bathroom, damn. I squirm my way out of my sleeping bag and then slip into my boots. At least it is only a short distance to the “blue rockets” but that doesn’t make the trip any more inviting.



As I bolt back to the tent after completing my task I noticed how clear the morning sky was and that the moon was full. It was giving of so much ambient light that the requirement for my head lamp was not even necessary. If this was another place, another time, and if it wasn’t -20 someone would stop to admire the beauty. In this case since sleep was in short supply along with the fact that the cold was quickly settling into my bones, my only thought was getting back to the warmth and into my sleeping bag.

After what only seems to be minutes my alarm is going off and I’m up again. Welcome to a new day and with some entirely new challenges. I double of the showers to clean up as well as drop off some laundry. Then it’s to the mess tent to down some grub before I check out what is up for the day.

There are a few up coming events that require prep. I quickly gather up the pertinent info that we have to have for our mission. After that it’s back to the tent lines to give the troops a quick brief along with some duties that need attention before we head out. While they are working away I labour over my plan of action. I check my watch, still plenty of time to go.
Once completed a myriad of events follow; orders, rehearsals, and then various checks upon checks to ensure that everything is good to go before we depart. Upon completion I once again check my watch, time is running short.
Now that all the prep has been completed and the vehicles are in position it is time to put on my own load. I then ensure that I have all the essentials and that they are on or in the right place. I check the various hardware on my rifle and that it is secure and that I have water. Last, I run through the key info in my head. I’m set; I check my watch, 10 mins to go, so I turn my attention back to the troops. “Confirm final checks, and mount up”. One by one they report, “roger, good to go”.


We check all our comms with a short time to go before mission commencement. The troops mount their “gun ships” and await my final command. There is some idle banter from the troops as they load up in the vehicles but I let is slide as we wait for the final member.
Not long after, I check my watch again, and as if on queue, he approaches our trucks. As he adjusts his equipment he gives me a nod and a smile while he checks his comms with a, “we good?” “Ya”, is my response. He gives me another nod and a thumbs up. Now, it’s time for me to earn my pay.
I bark over the radio, “Prepare to move”, then wrestle my body and equipment into the cab of my vehicle. “Lock and Load, boys!” A final time check, its time to go. “Move, now.”
So begins another training day, and another day closer to our adventure in a far off land.
BOH

2 comments:

Unknown said...

God Bless all our Forces, I have added your Blog to my links

Happy Christmas.

Unknown said...

Dear Sirs
My name is Tony McNally I am a Falklands War veteran, who has PTSD. Over the years I have seen many of my fellow soldiers take their own lives due to their PTSD. More suicides than were KIA in the War. I have found that writing poetry has helped ,me in a big way and I would advise others to try and write things down. I have decided to put a book of poetry together to help raise funds for a UK mental health charity TALKING2MINDS http://www.talking2minds.co.uk/ if you would like to help spread the word or contribute or know of any other Canadian veterans or serving soldiers or families that might like their work published please let me know. it’s a for charity and you can keep your copyright. I want our Canadian brothers onboard to make this a truly International collaboration,

Thank you