Wednesday, November 29, 2006

ONE AIRFORCE OPINION: Responce to "A Wounded Slodier's View"

People ask me Why would you want to leave the Air Force and Volunteer to go to Afghanistan. This Canadian Warrior says it well,

"Every time I see more soldiers killed over there a piece of me dies, and I feel the urge to return grow stronger. And each day I enjoy in my freedom here, I feel as though I have betrayed their memory. I need to finish my job over there. I need to go back."
Every time I see more killed or injured over there a piece of me hurts, Why should they go ....and not me......Why should they suffer, and not me .....because I'm in the Air Force and that's not my job?? I am a Soldier First......In this time that the CF is crying for Troops and requires more numbers for Relief. Whether Canadian's need to be there or not, those are not my decisions, it is not my place to comment. There are Canadian Soldiers there, and they need me, and others like me. They need the chance to finish their tours and come home and be with their families, they need the chance to come home and sit and do nothing, right now they don't have that chance as once this tour ends they know that in 6 - 9 months training begins again, and again over they go. But if Guys like me volunteer, then somebody, maybe just one person or one Section, one Platoon....Won't have to.
To all those who are serving now and don't agree with me....Why did you join? For a pay check? If our Veterans of WWI WW2 and Korea signed up just for a pay check we wouldn't have the freedom we have today. Now I understand that this is a different type of war but then we are still the same team, the Canadian Forces. Whether this war will stop Terrorism I can't say? Will it bring a new way of life for the Afghan People Hopefully....But What is Freedom? What does Freedom mean to you? Canada is a Free Country Right? Are our Soldiers Free right now to do what they want? Can they sit at home as I am right now without fear of being shot at? I am Canadian Soldier what allows me that freedom and not them? That's where freedom starts with me. I am Volunteering my freedom so that another Canadian Soldier that is having his freedom jepordized right now can have his back in Canada. I will pick up the Fight For Freedom of Terrorism, I will assist in the efforts of Freedom for the Afghan people. But When I get deployed to Afghanistan I will have won the battle on Freedom for at least 1 of my brothers in arms. He will have his family and his freedom returned in Canada.

Ubique

Once a Gunner Always a Gunner!
This is a post taken from http://www.army.ca/ of Injured Canadian Solider from the Royal Hamilton Light Infantry who served with the 1RCR
Gunner, I salute you.

No comments: