Monday, September 04, 2006

FRANK MELLISH & RICK NOLAN

My condolences go out to Frank & Rick's friends and family. Frank & Rick were a good men and excellent soldiers...they will be greatly missed.

I have known Frank for a very long time. We first really got to know each other when we served together in Crotia in 94-95 in Recce Platoon.

At the time we refered to him as the most photographed solider in NATO. His previous tour in Africa resulted in a slue of photos of him while on patrol, which were constantly turing up in military and civilian publications a like. But I didn't expect to see these types of pictures of Frank.

Here is Frank Mellish on the cover of a military mag

when he was on patrol in Africa in 1993.

If it appears that Frank is a little disgusted, well he told me later that he was pissed. The camera man that was along for the patrol was getting on his nerves because he was continually taking pictures of him becoming a distraction and a burden.


As for Rick I had not known him for as long. We had done our Small Arms Instructor course together and he struck me as level-head, knowledgeable individual. We never became friends but we would always stop to chat when we happened to bump into each other.

As my Ex-unit headed over to Afganistan I dreaded what was in store for the ones that I had worked with for so long.

No comments: